<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

I wonder what the old idea was 

Salon has an interesting celebrity tidbit:

Charlize Theron on her plan to eventually marry boyfriend Stuart Townsend: 'We came up with a new idea that we said that we would get married the day that gays and lesbians can get married -- when that right is given to them. We've decided that we're gonna use that in a positive way, so the day that law gets passed then we'll get married.'
I don't bring this up to ridicule their committment to the rights of gays to marry. While I'd prefer that the specific word marriage and relationship of marriage remain a heterosexual term, if homosexual marriage happens I probably won't scream too loudly.

What I find odd is how little the two of them seem to value the very same institution of marriage that they are so keen on opening up to couples of other orientations. When I met my wife there was no way we were going to delay getting married, potentially indefinitely, for the sake of a philosophical point.

This is the area where the marriage controversy troubles me most. Not so much about whether homosexuality is an abomination or a blessing, but the fact that marriage is slowly and steadily being devalued, even by some of the most vocal proponents of its expansion.

If you really, really liked this -- or even really, really hated it -- there's lots more:
ARCHIVES